Make your very own A5 journal with this beautifully curated Coptic Stitch Binding toolkit. This kit is the ultimate gift for planner lovers, DIYers, writers and aspiring bookbinders. It provides a good foundation to exposed-spine binding (unlike case-bound books, the spine of a Coptic journal is beautifully exposed).
This binding style is perfect for creating photo albums, guest books and also sketchbooks. A Coptic stitched book is very flexible as it can open a full 360 degrees without damaging the book’s spin, which makes writing/ sketching/ painting in the book very convenient.
The Coptic stitch method dates back to Ancient Egypt. The Copts, early Christians in Egypt, stitched their important texts together in book form with the Coptic style. The visible Coptic stitch resembles chain stitching –a stitching method used in embroidery– and has also become known as the chain stitch.
This toolkit includes all the necessary tools and materials to get you started on your bookbinding journey.
Like Coptic Stitch Binding? Also check out our Coptic Weave Binding Toolkit.
This toolkit allows you to make one A5 Coptic-bound hardcover notebook measuring 21.3 x 15.2cm / 8.4 x 6″.
The toolkit includes:
- 1 sheet of cork paper OR fabric of your choice (300 x 450mm)
- 2 3mm book covers (153 x 211mm)
- 48 sheets of A4 paper
- 2 sheets of A5 Kraft paper (148 x 210mm)
- 2 cotton thread lines (yellow and dark blue – 5m each)
- 1 ribbon line (brown – 300mm)
- 1 wooden ruler
- 1 long plastic bone folder (205 x 24mm)
- 1 short plastic bone folder
- 1 wooden glue brush
- 1 bookbinding adhesive (60ml)
- 1 craft awl
- 1 natural beeswax round (5g)
- 1 pack of round-point needles (24 needles per pack)
- Coptic Stitch Binding Tutorial in PDF format (please note that you will receive a link to download the tutorial – no physical tutorial is included in the toolkit). The tutorial consists of 39 full-colored pages with 125-plus photo-instructions and illustrations.
All rights reserved. This tutorial, including all photos, illustrations and instructions, is strictly for personal use and may not be resold, redistributed or shared under any circumstances.
This product is a combination of a physical and a digital product. No refunds or exchanges on the tutorial will be granted. For refunds or exchanges, the value of the digital product will be subtracted.
© The Siam Bindery