Make your very own hard cover journal, productivity planner, recipe book or wedding guestbook with this beautifully curated Coptic Weave Binding toolkit. This kit is the ultimate gift for planner and paper lovers, DIYers, scrapbookers, writers and aspiring bookbinders. It provides a solid foundation to exposed-spine binding (unlike case-bound books, the spine of a Coptic journal is beautifully exposed).
This binding style is perfect for creating photo albums, guest books and sketchbooks – the book is very flexible and can be opened a full 360 degrees without damaging the book’s spine. This makes writing, sketching and painting in the book very convenient.
This toolkit offers bookbinders, crafters and DIYers the opportunity to learn a variation on the traditional Coptic Stitch Bookbinding technique. The traditional Coptic Stitch Binding method has been used since as early at the second century A.D. by the Copts, early Christians in Ancient Egypt. As time evolved, various variations on the traditional Coptic style emerged, this style being one of them.
This toolkit includes all the necessary tools and materials to make a notebook measuring 21.1 x 15.3cm / 8.3 x 6″.
What’s in the Box?
This toolkit allows you to make one A5 book measuring approximately 21.1 x 15.3cm / 8.3 x 6″.
- 2 sheets of cork paper of your choice (25 x 15.2cm / 9.84 x 5.98″)
(Choose between 6 cork styles)
- 2 3mm thick book boards (21.1 x 15.3cm / 8.3 6″)
- 48 sheets of A4 paper – various designs available (29.7 x 21cm / 11.69 x 8.26″)
- 2 sheets of A5 Kraft paper (21 x 14.8cm / 8.26 x 5.82″)
- 2 cotton thread rolls for bookbinding in white and dark brown (91.44m / 100yd. each)
- 1 ribbon line in brown (30cm / 11.81″)
- 1 30cm / 12″ wooden ruler
- 1 long plastic bone folder (20.5 x 2.4cm / 8.07 x 0.94″)
- 1 short plastic bone folder (12 x 2.4cm / 4.72 x 0.94″)
- 1 glue brush
- 1 bookbinding adhesive (60ml / 2oz)
- 1 craft awl
- 1 natural beeswax block (15g / 0.53oz)
- 1 pack of round-point bookbinding needles (24 needles per pack)
- Coptic Weave Binding Tutorial in PDF format (please note that you will receive a link to download the tutorial – no physical tutorial is included in the toolkit). The tutorial consists of 39 full-colored pages with 125-plus photo-instructions and illustrations.
Package weight: 971g / 2.14lb